Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

How to enjoy squash - part I


I have decided that I love squash. There are so many possibilities! Here's one I came up with recently:


  • Cut an acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds.  Place in a baking dish.
  • Cut up an apple.
  • Chop up some nuts - I used pecans but walnuts would work well too.  About 1/2 c is probably what I used.
  • Mix apple, nuts, a bit of butter (cut), and a dusting of cinnamon.  Divide this and put it in the two halves.
  • Pour about 1 Tbsp of maple syrup over each half.
  • Put water into the pan with the squash so that its about 1/2" deep.  Cover with foil and bake the whole thing in the oven for 40-60 min at 400, until the squash is cooked.
  • Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this tonight with a kabocha squash - I'll let you know how it goes! I'm assuming honey will work as a syrup substitute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! Yeah, honey should work, or no syrup at all. Alternately, a bit of brown sugar sprinkled will add the type of flavor I was going for :)

    let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out delicious! Mine fell apart because after I took them out of the oven, I left the tinfoil on since the hubby wasn't home yet...so sadly when I went to move mine to my bowl, it crumbled! But it all tastes the same :) And his didn't fall apart, so I got to take a nice picture. Next time I'll try it with the acorn squash, because it probably tastes a bit different depending on which squash is used.

    ReplyDelete