Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Summer Lunch


One of my favorite things about this past summer was the knowledge that, even when I hadn't been to the grocery store in a while and didn't have a plan for my next meal, there was food waiting out in the garden, inspiring my creativity.  This is the result of one of those times.

Summertime is long gone, but even as I eagerly anticipate the snow predicted for tonight, I find myself looking back at pictures I took this summer and fondly remembering the warm days when I ate out of my garden.  So here we are: a summer lunch recipe.  Even if you don't want to make it now, hopefully you'll enjoy thinking about the joys of summertime. :)
There are a thousand variants on this recipe, but here's what I did:

Ingredients:
Fresh bread
Fresh basil
a bit of garlic?
fresh ripe tomatoes from the garden or local market
fresh ripe yellow pear tomatoes
feta cheese (goat)

Chop up the basil (and garlic, if desired) and put it on the bread.  Slice the remaining ingredients and layer them, being sure to put the cheese on top. 

Broil until the cheese is melting and browned on the top.  Enjoy hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment